This fun maths activity creates a bowling alley with empty plastic bottles with painted numbers. It helps to teach number recognition and counting – all important early maths skills. The rolling of the ball towards the bottle encourages hand-eye coordination.
What you need
- Ten empty plastic bottles with the numbers 1 to 10 written on them
- A small ball (such as a tennis ball or small soccer ball)
How to play
- Place the bottles in a triangular shape, ordered by number as follows:
4 5 6
7 8 9 10
- Ask your child to roll the ball to knock the bottles over.
- Show your child the numbers of the bottles they knocked over.
Look, you knocked over number five and number eight.
- Count how many bottles were knocked over and how many remained standing.
- The person who knocks over the most bottles wins!